_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Me, My Elf & I by Heather Swain

Title: Me, My Elf & I
Author: Heather Swain
ISBN: 9780142412558
Publisher: Speak /Penguin

Summary:
"It's not easy fitting in when you're the new girl in a strange school, especially when you're a tall, blonde, gorgeous elf. That's Zephyr Addler's dilemma when she finds herself smack-dab in the middle of a prestigious New York City performing arts high school, worlds away from the secluded woodland community she knows so well. Luckily Zephyr's new friends Mercedes and Ari are there to help her look and act the part of a normal teenager. Until they talk her into auditioning for a role against Bella Dartagnan, the most popular- and meanest - girl in school, who will stop at nothing to get what she wants. That is, until Zephyr snags a role in a commercial, beating out the most popular girl in school, Bella Dartagnan. Now with Bella and her friends out to get her, can Zephyr out-maneuver the mean girls (and catch the eye of a certain cute boy) without losing herself?"
___________________________________________
Review:

The whole concept of this book was very interesting - I mean, the outsider in high school is a norm, but the idea of an elf coming from a woodland world to the most urban situation you can get in... it was just an interesting thought.

I do have to say that the story is fun and certainly pulls you in. There were a few things about it that didn't really add up for me. I mean, I get the whole concept of someone not getting the urban world... no idea what a cell phone is, how to use a computer, etc. From the way that it's written, she's only emersed in that for a week or less - and then she's an expert.

It's not a realistic story to begin with, but it's a little too much on that front. It's not super ikely that anyone would soak all that up in that little time. But I do have to say that this part was the only bit that I had much of an issue with me. The rest of the story is a fun, typical high school story. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for that younger YA reader. It's perfect for that age-range... so I'll still be giving it to them. :)

Here's the author's website.
___________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Em's Bookshelf
BookMac
Kiss the Book

No comments:

Search This Blog