_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Thursday, November 11, 2010

iDrakula by Bekka Black

Title: iDrakula
Author: Bekka Black
ISBN: 9781402244650
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Page #: 150
Source: From my public library

Summary:
"What happened?
Not sure. I was fine when I went to bed.
But?
I don't remember his face. He was tall, thin, pale... I was paralyzed. And then my neck hurt and my mouth was full of...
Of what?
Blood. My mouth was full of blood."
__________________________________________
First Lines:

"Renfield had a psychotic break. Carted off to Bellevue. More l8r.
wth? Details?
Jonathan?"
Page 1 (written in texting window)
__________________________________________
Review:

Typically I'm a huge fan of books written in fun formats - texting, emails, diary entries, tweets, etc. That's the number one reason why I brought this one home. I flipped through and it was mostly done in texts and emails. I was sold. Perhaps I should have read some reviews before I picked this one up, though.

I honestly didn't expect this book to take me less than an hour to read. I mean, it was almost faster than reading a manga! And that's pretty quick. I think because it was so fast, I didn't have any time to get anything from the characters.

This book gives you just enough text to make you wonder about the people you're reading about. The only time you get a full narrative is toward the ending - explaining something that happened to someone who was there to see it. Seemed a little like the author was searching for a way to explain what happened at the end of the book.

As you can probably tell from the title, this book is all Dracula all the time. Not that the name is used at all in the book itself. But it's all modern day people finding out about the Count and finding themselves in compromising positions. Now... for me, that's enough story for this short of a book. But there's a lot more drama that is relationship based that gives this book a very choppy feel to it. One page a couple is together, the next there's a break up email. And poof... that part of the story is over.

I guess my official stance on this book is that it is far too abrupt. I think there were a lot of interesting things going on that could have been fleshed out a lot more. Perhaps if there were another way to do more narrative or something, it would give more life to it.

I would say this book is for older teens who are reading anything and everything vampire. But they may also be sorely disappointed with how quick this one is over. The size indicates younger teen, but there are mentions of sexual things that make it a little less PG. Hopefully I can find some great reviews on this one to counteract mine here... but sorry. Not my favorite book by a long shot. :/
__________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

/-la femme readers -/
The Readings of a Busy Mom
Bri Meets Books
Book Whisperer
Zoe's Book Reviews

1 comment:

Savannah said...

I pick this one up as well. I enjoy it. The texting was cool. I like how well she integrated it all. Nice review :)

Search This Blog