_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Through the Ever Night by Veronica Rossi

Title: Through the Ever Night
Author: Veronica Rossi
ISBN: 9780062072061
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
Series: Under the Never Sky #2
Released: January 8, 2013
Pages: 341
Source: From my public library

Summary:
"It's been months since Aria learned of her mother's death.
Months since Perry became Blood Lord of the Tides, and months since Aria last saw him.

Now Aria and Perry are about to be reunited. It's a moment they've been longing for with countless expectations. And it's a moment that lives up to all of them. At least, at first. Then it slips away. The Tides don't take kindly to former Dwellers like Aria. And the tribe is swirling out of Perry's control. With the Aether storms worsening every day, the only remaining hope for peace and safety is the Still Blue. But does this haven truly exist?

Threatened by false friends and powerful temptations, Aria and Perry wonder, Can their love survive through the ever night? In this second book in her spellbinding Under the Never Sky trilogy, Veronica Rossi combines fantasy and sci-fi elements to create a captivating adventure—and a love story as perilous as it is unforgettable".
____________________________________________________
First Lines:

"Aria was here.
Perry followed her scent, moving swiftly through the night. He kept his stride even as he scanned the darkened woods, though his heart hammered in his chest."
Page 1
____________________________________________________
Review:

If you haven't read Under the Never Sky, I would suggest you do so. I don't think I can leave out any spoilers from that one in this review. Plus, it's really good. You'll be happy you did.

This second book is still about Aria and Perry and their newfound relationship. They have been apart for months, but not by any choice of their own. Both of them have had huge life changes. Perry is now the leader of the Tides and Aria has lost her mother. She has also been given the task of finding the Still Blue - a place where the Aether doesn't attack. Unfortunately, they can't spend time together because of their quests. They are pulled in different directions, and only find themselves together in the heat of a crisis.

I have to say, this was a solid sequel. Most times, I go into these things with a bit of caution. I know many second books suffer from the slump - where you adore the first book and the second one falls flat. But truly, this one was just as good as the first one. In fact, I might think it was better. You have gotten to know these characters and you can imagine the things they have gone through. This second book just builds on all of that base knowledge. You now get to know more about them - more about where they came from, more about who they are. And you really find out just how awesome the characters are!

Typically, when I start reading a second book, I have to go back to my review of the first one to even remember what it was about. This one? I didn't have to remind myself at all - I remembered the first book with pretty striking clarity. I think that's one of the tests of a great book. If you can remember it without any trouble, it was well done. And I don't think I will be getting this one out of my head any time soon.

One thing I really enjoyed about this book was the emphasis on Roar and his life. You get a peek into that through the first book, but you start to understand him better. He becomes a real and important person. I think the author did a great job setting up the story like that. You get all of the love and romance and drama from the first book, but it is compounded by the amazing characters introduced in this one.

As usual, I'm not going to spoil the ending for you. But can I just say that there is a huge shocker toward the end? I mean, huge. It changes the course of the story. And I'm going to put this in writing - I think what happened may not have actually happened the way we think it did. You don't get a firm look at the situation. You just remember it through Aria... And you never know! Maybe that will be the twist in the next book. But it's a shocker... so get ready for that!

All you dystopian lovers out there - this book is 100% for you. It's definitely in my wheelhouse. I cannot wait to see what happens in the next book. The mystery is about to be solved and I can only imagine the drama of trying to get there! I'll definitely be waiting impatiently for the next installment. Has it even been announced yet?
____________________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Cuddlebuggery
Katie's Book Blog
Two Chicks on Books
Nick's Book Blog
A Life Bound By Books
Lily's Book Blog
Melissa's Bookshelf
Ivy Book Bindings
Once Upon a Bookcase
The Bookish Babe

No comments:

Search This Blog