_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider

Title: The Beginning of Everything
Author: Robyn Schneider
ISBN: 9780062217134
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Released: August 27, 2013
Page #: 335
Source: ARC from the publisher

Summary:
"Varsity Tennis captain Ezra Faulkner was supposed to be homecoming king, but that was before—before his girlfriend cheated on him, before a car accident shattered his leg, and before he fell in love with unpredictable new girl Cassidy Thorpe."
__________________________________________________
First Lines: (Quote from the ARC, subject to change)

"Sometimes I think that everyone has a tragedy waiting for them, that the people buying milk in their pajamas or picking their noses at stoplights could only be moments away from disaster. That everyone's life, no matter how unremarkable, has a moment when it will become extraordinary - a single encounter after which everything that really matters will happen."
Page 1
__________________________________________________
Review:

Y'all, I really loved this book. It is laugh-out-loud hilarious, so very sweet, and definitely heartbreaking. I'm going to try not to gush during this review... we'll see if that works out.

Ezra has a horrible accident that keeps him from doing what he loves - playing tennis. His whole life is flipped upside down. His friends aren't who he thought they were, old friends resurface, and others prove themselves to be interesting allies. And there's a girl who comes along and changes his outlook on everything - Cassidy. She is nothing like any of the girls he has known before and he realizes quickly how special she is. But there are secrets and tragedies that will try to pull them apart.

Can I just emphasize how clever and hilarious this book is? Seriously. I ended up reading out loud more quotes from this book to my unsuspecting coworkers than they probably wanted. You know, even when it was dealing with heavy issues, there was still a lighter tone that made sense. It was just a lighthearted, fantastic story.

There is something so awesome to me about a romantic story written from the guy's perspective. I mean, girl romance stories are good and everything - I'm definitely into those, too. But when you're reading from a guy's perspective, there is something more genuine and sweet about it. Especially when the girl is someone so awesome and unexpected. It's that discovery and understanding that really comes across well with this sort of book.

It was sort of awesome that many of the main characters are part of the debate team. They were the coolest people in the story, for sure. And I kind of hope that will translate for many teens who think those kids are uber dorks. Their conversations were so smart and clever that I almost couldn't handle it. And I loved the whole time that they were at a weekend debate contest. It really took me back to my days of traveling with hs groups. 

I'm pretty much going to recommend this book to anyone who loves YA realistic lit. It's a really solid book that made me remember why I have loved realistic stories in the past. It just felt real and genuine... ugh, so good! I cannot wait to see what else this author comes up with. I'm definitely a fan as of right now. 
__________________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Lily's Book Blog
Cuddlebuggery Book Blog
Alluring Reads
The Flyleaf Review
Rather Be Reading
Annette's Book Spot
The Midnight Garden
Book Fixation
Bookish Comforts
The Eater of Books!

No comments:

Search This Blog