Title: Sucks to Be Me: The All-True Confessions of Mina Hamilton, Teen Vampire (maybe)
Author: Kimberly Pauley
"Why it sucks to be me...
1. My parents are freaks. Sure, every teenager says that. But I know for a fact mine are bloodsucking vampires.
2. As if high school wasn't bad enough, now I have to go to vampire classes with a bunch of weirdos who actually want to drink blood.
3. Then there's my complete inability to talk in complete sentences around cute boys. (i.e. Nathan. He probably thinks I've got a speech impediment or something.)
4. And I can't tell my best friend Serena about any of this.
5. But the absolute worst thing is that the whole world is about to find out what happened when my parents forced me to decide whether I want to be a campire!
Please don't read this book. It's just embarassing. "
This book was so much fun! It was the perfect middle ground between the realistic fiction genre and the fantasy/vampire stuff that's so popular right now. It's very clever the way the "underworld" is portrayed - and how it could be possible today.
There was one thing I kinda felt I needed to take issue with. The main character faces all sorts of stuff that makes her life crazy or not how she wanted it.... but she never gets mad. Never gets upset about anything that's happening to her. Things just seem happy-go-lucky. I wanted her to rage a little. I mean, huge changes as a teenager = angst. That's just the way it happens. In this book, none of the normal rules applied. That's my only issue I had with the book. Otherwise I loved the story.
I would absolutely recommend it to those that love the vampire stuff right now - especially if they want something light and funny. It fills those categories easily.
There are other blog reviews: Here, here, and here! Oh, and here is the author's website.