_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

Title: The Forest of Hands and Teeth
Author: Carrie Ryan
ISBN: 9780385736817
Publisher: Delacorte Press

Summary:
"In Mary's world, there are simple truths.
The sisterhood always knows best.
The Guardians will protect and serve.
The Unconsecrated will never relent.

And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village. The fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.

But slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power. And, when the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness.

Now she must choose between her village and her future, between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death?"
______________________________________________
First Lines:

"My mother used to tell me about the ocean. She said there was a place where there was noting but water as far as you could see and that it was always moving, rushing toward you and then away."
Page 1

This was another line that I just loved (I deleted the spoiler bit).
"I stand at the edge [deleted] and stare out into the Forest and wonder how it is that we are never truly prepared for death. How can we be always surrounded by it, reminded of it, knowing that one mistake can lead to infection. And yet when it comes we are not ready. We still have too many regrets."
Page 174
______________________________________________
Review:

I would just like to emphasis one little point: EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS ONE!! Ahem. I'm glad I got that off my chest.

Let me just start by saying that I had read reviews for this one and saw how well it was going over. I was a little worried about the whole zombie aspect of the book, because it's always done so.... hokie. Ya know? It's almost funny (see: all movies about zombies)... So, this seemingly serious story about zombies seemed kinda weird.

But it was done perfectly and I was blown away! The writing was so wonderful and there was something that reminded me of Hunger Games. Maybe it was the flow of the story... or perhaps something about the way the story was told. I'm not sure. I am sure that I loved it just as much.

I am definitely classifying this book as horror. There were some parts of this story that were out and out scary. I was pulled in by the story telling that certain parts could make me actually gasp or jump. riiiidiculous. That's the sign of an incredible book. Some of the words used to describe this book: Haunting, Chilling, Deep, and much more.

All of that to say... I highly recommend this book. I can imagine just about anyone loving this one, but maybe 7th grade and up? I mean, there's lots of violence... but it's against the undead. So does that still count? I dunno. But it's a wonderful book. I've already recommended it to at least 5 of my coworkers :).
______________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

The Book Smugglers
There are lots of other reviews out there, so I suggest taking a look. It's totally worth it.

2 comments:

Christina T said...

I loved this book and can't wait for The Dead Tossed Waves. I waited to read this book because I didn't think it would be my type of book at first but after seeing all the reviews and hearing the hype, I decided to investigate it for myself. Glad I did. Did you hear they are making it into a movie? Kristen Stewart's mom has the film rights. There is spec that she will star in it. Not sure how I feel about that.

Great review. Thanks for sharing it!

Alyssa Kirk said...

This was a very well written book. Enjoyed your review!

Search This Blog