_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Great News!

As many of you probably know, Libraries are going through kind of a hard time right now budget-wise. There have been more cuts than we'd like to admit.

Back in April, the Library I work for received their proposed budget cuts for the new fiscal year. It was a pretty massive chop in our funding. Enough so that my Library started handing out layoff notices. More specifically, over 400 layoff notices. People, of course, were outraged. This meant closing a lot of branches and a lot less books and programs.

I was one of those who received a layoff notice.

I was pretty stressed about it for a long time. Because of living costs, I would not have been able to stay in my same living situation. Meaning, I'd have to move somewhere I have family to stay with. And it would also force me to start job searching again - and knowing the dire state of Libraries right now, I was really nervous.

Because that initial budget cut was only the proposed budget, there was time for petitioning, postcard campaigns, rallies, read-ins, and more. My Library and our customers picked ourselves up and started protesting. The response from the public was almost overwhelming.

Once the official budget was passed, they had restored a little over half of what we need. This saved several people from being laid off. Not me, though. But this last week has changed a few things. The Library met with our union to work out some job saving things... and on Wednesday they started calling people to rescind their layoff notices.

I was out of the office this week for my birthday, so I wasn't sure if I would get a call. Several coworkers sent me facebook messages letting me know that I had to be saved. Last night I got back into town and had a letter waiting for me from my employer. It was my official notice that they have rescinded my layoff notice.

I still have a job!!

I am soooo relieved, I cannot even begin to describe. Now all I have to do is remember all of those things I said I would do if I didn't get laid off (buy a new purse, start some list, etc).

Now, just because I didn't get laid off doesn't mean no one did. There are still 46 people in my Library that are going to be laid off. Their last day is September 3rd. What a depressing day. Please keep these people in your thoughts - because losing a job can feel devastating.

It's hard to celebrate when others are in such a bad spot, but I'm really, really, really happy. YAY!!

7 comments:

Kathy Martin said...

Congratulations on still having a job! I know how stressful that waiting time can be. I worked in one school for 20 years before the position was ended because of declining enrollment. It is very tough to job hunt after not doing so for 20 years. Now I have been at my current job for 14 years and luckily I can retire if this job ends. I don't want to, but I can. I know I don't want to job hunt again. Best wishes that your colleagues find new positions soon.

Chelle said...

I'm so happy for you! I can only imagine your relief!

Savannah said...

So glad to here you didn't lose your job. That's great!

Janet Johnson said...

So happy for you! Libraries have really been hit hard. Best wishes to those 46 people.

Christina T said...

I'm glad to hear you were able to keep your job. It is really really hard to find a job in the library world right now. My heart goes out to those 46 who were not so fortunate. Libraries in Ohio have been going through a hard time too with branch closings and layoffs and cutbacks.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you kept your job. I can understand your relief as one of the unemployed myself right now. :-)

Carin Siegfried said...

Wow, that has to be really hard! My library system is going through the same thing (Charlotte, NC) and it's been awful to watch even from the outside. Very glad you've been saved!

Search This Blog