_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Title: Lola and the Boy Next Door
Author: Stephanie Perkins
ISBN: 9780525423287
Publisher: Dutton Books
Released: September 29, 2011
Page #: 338
Source: My local public library

Summary:
"Budding designer Lola Nolan doesn't believe in fashion... she believes in costume. the more expressive the outfit - more sparkly, more fun, more wild - the better. But even though Lola's style is outrageous, she's a devoted daughter and friend with some big plans for the future. And everything is pretty perfect (right down to her hot rocker boyfriend) until the dreaded Bell twins, Calliope and Cricket, returns to the neighborhood.

When Cricket - a gifted inventor - steps out from his twin sister's shadow and back into Lola's life, she must finally reconcile a lifetime of feelings for the boy next door."
____________________________________________
First Lines:

"I have three simple wishes. They're really not too much to ask.
The first is to attend the winter formal dressed like Marie Antoinette."
Page 3
____________________________________________
Review:

Stephanie Perkins is swiftly becoming my favorite author. I know she's already my fave for realistic fiction.

Lola dresses in crazy costumes and dates a lead guy in a band. She's pretty much the most awesome person you can know. Not that everyone else knows that. But when her old neighbors move back, lots of her old emotions and fears come back up. She starts to see things differently and worries about losing herself.

I cannot imagine someone being as cool as Lola. Seriously. I would have loved to know someone who literally dressed in costume every day and rocked it. I think some people felt like they were in costume... but didn't quite get the effect right :). But I can only imagine what every day would be like with her around. Can you?

So... I'm totally in love with Cricket. In a not-a-real-dude kinda way. And way too young for me. Ahem. But he's pretty much the perfect guy. Sensitive, Sweet, Funny, Original... I'm gonna stop now. I'm not sure how you can read this book and not be on team Cricket all the way. And I'm not even a fan of all the team whoevers! See? This book just changed my mind.

This story had me cheering... and booing... and almost crying (seriously.)... and then cheering again. There's something about how this author tells a story that is just perfect. I can't even put my finger on it. I just know that it's seamless and engaging and I had some trouble putting it down. Didn't get much sleep last night, ahem.

If you haven't read Anna and the French Kiss, you should really do that asap. And if you have, this book has a little peek into the life of Anna now. a very cool little addition to the story :). And don't worry, you don't have to read the first one to get any references. So seriously don't hesitate to read this book. It's totally worth your time.

I do think that the appeal is for girls, mostly. Hopefully some guys will read it to - if nothing more than to see how a real man behaves :). Anyway, it's a well written book and I absolutely recommend it to anyone who reads. To be vague. I truly urge you to get this book. I don't think you'll regret it.
____________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Jessica Lawlor
Presenting Lenore
The Book Pushers
Bibliopunkk
Chick Loves Lit
Fictitious Delicious
Proud Book Nerd

No comments:

Search This Blog