_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski

Title: Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have)
Author: Sarah Mlynowski
ISBN: 9780061701245
Publisher: HarperTeen
Released: June 7, 2011
Page #: 254
Source: ARC from the publisher - yes, it's a late review

Summary:
"Like any sixteen-year-old would, April jumps at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free. Even though she had to tell her dad a tiny untruth to make it happen (see #1: 'Lied to Our Parents'). But she and her housemate, Vi, are totally responsible and know how to take care of themselves. How they ended up 'Skipping School' (#3), 'Throwing a Crazy Party' (#8), 'Buying a Hot Tub' (#4), and, um, 'Harboring a Fugitive' (#7) is kind of a mystery to them. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart... one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time."
_________________________________________
First Lines:

"I bolted awake. A police siren.
The police were outside my house. Ready to arrest me for underage partying, excessive flirting, and an overcrowded hot tub.
But wait."
Page 1
_________________________________________
Review:

There are only certain times when I really want to read a cutesy realistic book. And this book perfectly fulfilled the requirement.

This is the story of a girl whose parents both have moved out of her hometown (separately), but decided she could handle living there with her friend for the rest of the school year. Of course, her friend's mother is a flighty actress who will be in Chicago for the semester. They start to do some stuff that you would expect - big parties, random purchases, and issues figuring out how to do things on their own.

It's a fun trip into the irresponsibility of teenagers living on their own. Honestly, it was sort of the story that I wished I could be a teen with them. While there are things that seem to get them into trouble, I have to say that they seem super-responsible. Realistic, I'm not sure. I can't imagine too many parents finding out what their kids are capable of.

Anyway, I loved seeing April grow from a girl who depends on her dad for everything to a girl who can take care of herself and face very adult decisions. I think she is a very realistic character and grows in ways that are easily imaginable. I think the author does a good job of pulling in issues of birth control, sex, and STDs in a believable way. I think there are a lot of times that stuff is handled badly. I applaud this author for bringing those issues in without making it preachy.

Well, all in all, I truly loved this book. It took me a little time to get into the story, but once I was in I loved it. And I really didn't want it to be over, but the ending was really well done. I felt like things were pulled together well and realistic. I think that's been my buzz word for this review - realistic. I guess I just think the author did a great job keeping me involved in this story.

I will recommend this book to those that are into some definite chick lit stuff. I'm assuming it will be mostly girls - and it's a great book for relationships, dating and friendship. It's really well done. I haven't read other things by this author, but this book really makes me want to.
_________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Chick Loves Lit
YA Reads
Jessica Lawlor
Taming the Bookshelf
Almost Grown-Up
The Book Scoop
YA Book Shelf
Stuck in Books

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have this read in my to read pile but it's not very high up, I think I just need to be in the mood for something like it because it does sound like fun.

Search This Blog