_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

Title: The Ask and the Answer
Author: Patrick Ness
ISBN: 9781441891938
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Released: September 8, 2009
Page #: 13 hour audio
Source: My public library

Summary:
"Separated. One to the government. The other determined to overthrow it. Will Todd and Viola be able to survive and keep their trust in each other?

Fleeing before a relentless army, Todd has carried a desperately wounded Viola right into the hands of their worst enemy, Mayor Prentiss. Immediately separated from Viola and imprisoned, Todd is forced to learn the ways of the Mayor's terrifying new order. But everything is shrouded in secrets. Where is Viola? Is she even still alive? And who are the mysterious Answer? And then one day, the bombs begin to explode...."
____________________________________________________
First Lines:

"'Your Noise reveals you, Todd Hewitt.'
A voice -
In the darkness -
I blink open my eyes."
Page 3
____________________________________________________
Review:

HUGE WARNING: If you haven't read the first book, you absolutely have to do that before reading this review... or the summary... or anything, really. And it's totally worth it. Go ahead. I'll wait. :)

So, a couple of days ago, I finished listening to The Knife of Never Letting Go. I immediately requested the next audio in the series because I couldn't wait to find out what happened. I'm so glad I've gotten sucked into this series... now, if only my library had the audio for the third one! Drat. But I was definitely as enthralled with this second book as I was the first one.

Todd and Viola made it to Haven - not in the way they expected, but they got there. Unfortunately, the Mayor beat them... and pretty much took over with only a couple of words. The two of them are separated and given different jobs to do. Viola in a house of healing and Todd doing odd jobs with the Mayor's son - and his arch enemy. They both think about the other all of the time - how to get to each other, how to find out if the other is even alive. There's a lot of worry and concern when it comes to the two of them. They spent weeks protecting each other and now they are lost from one another.

While Todd settles into his odd jobs - and becomes distant from anything going on around him, Viola has decided to take up the fight against the Mayor and his regime. But not as much as many other women in this story - they make up The Answer... who are mostly called terrorists for the things they do to the town. But Viola just wants to contact her ships and get out of town - and take Todd with her. There's almost more connection between the two main characters in this book, even though they are never together.

Again, I listened to the audio for this book - which I highly recommend. There are some things about this story that I feel like I might have a hard time reading. Like the Noise. And the voices of the horses. Things like that. And the readers did such a great job. I did like that they added a female voice for Viola's chapters. The readers were both amazing and I loved listening to them.

I already highly recommended the first book, but I have to give the same thumbs up to the second one. It's a different story in that they are in one place - no active running away. But it's just as action filled and you find out even more secrets about the planet and the things people have been doing. I thought it was well done and I cannot wait to get my hands on the audio of the third book.
____________________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Loving Books
Recovering Potter Addict
Bookalicio.us
Busy Bookworm Reviews
Iris on Books
Writing from the Tub
YA Bibliophile
There's a Book

No comments:

Search This Blog