_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mercy by Rebecca Lim

Title: Mercy
Author: Rebecca Lim
ISBN: 9781423145172
Publisher: Hyperion
Page #: 269
Source: ARC from the publisher (To be released May 17, 2011 in US)

Summary:
"Mercy is an exile from heaven with shattered memories of who and what she used to be. She's doomed to 'wake' repeatedly on earth in a new body, assuming a new life each time, only to move on again and again. During the day she survives in the human world on instinct, and at night her dreams are haunted by her lost love, who pleads with her to find him. But her memory refuses to cooperate.

But this time is different. When Mercy wakes up she meets Ryan, an eighteen-year-old reeling from the loss of his twin sister, Lauren, who was kidnapped two years ago. Only Mercy and Ryan believe his sister is still alive. For the first time since she can remember, Mercy has a purpose: she can help. So she doesn't understand why the man in her dreams cautions her not to interfere. But as Ryan and Mercy come closer to solving the mystery of Lauren's disappearance, danger looms just one step behind. When another girl goes missing, Mercy knows they must act before time runs out. Will she be able to harness her extraordinary power in time?"
___________________________________________
First Lines:

"There's something very wrong with me.
I can't remember who I am or how old I am, or even how I got here. All I know is that when I wake up, I could be any age and anyone, all over again. It is always this way."
Page 1
___________________________________________
Review:

This book was recommended to me by one of my coworkers. She and I share a very similar taste in books, so I knew this would be one I'd love. I got the ARC a month or two ago, but just got around to reading it. And I'm pretty sure it's already out in Australia - so I feel like I'm behind the times. Alas...

When I picked up the book, I don't think I fully understood the premise. It's about an exiled angel (which isn't fully mentioned in the story) who inhabits humans bodies for unknown reasons. Then she's forced from that person to a new one. Honestly, I'm still not sure I fully understand... but I'm hoping the future books will help explain what is going on - to us and to Mercy.

One thing I really enjoyed about this story was the emphasis on music. I used to do chorus in high school and college - I remember sitting in these massive rehearsals that seemed to never end. I guess that made the setting a bit more real to me. We also used to stay in host family houses, so I get that whole uncomfortable thing. It was also interesting to see Mercy grow because of the music thing - it somehow tapped into her past. Very cool.

I guess I spent a lot of this story trying to figure out what was going on. I got the music thing... I got the finding-the-missing-girl thing... but I had trouble with the whole angel and past-lives thing. There wasn't a lot of explanation for it because the main character isn't supposed to understand either. There's a little clarity toward the end about how things are going to be, but I was definitely wishing for more of that.

I think many teens will love this book - and hopefully the rest of the books in the series. There's a huge sense of empowerment in the ending that gives you hope for the people Mercy has been in contact with. She seems to try to better each person she inhabits... and I hope to see more of the people she's influenced.

I will absolutely be recommending this book to my teens as soon as it comes out in May. I know they will love the themes and concept. I mean, anything angel-related these days seems to be perfect. I think people who loved Halo by Adornetto will really get into this one. I look forward to the next book (I think it's called Exile), but I haven't seen a date yet for a US release. But I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for it! I gotta find out what happens :).
___________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Small Town Book Blog
Face Books, not Facebook
BookieMonster
Mercys World
YA Reads
Wicked Walker

No comments:

Search This Blog