_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Sunday, March 4, 2012

She's with the Band by Georgia Clark

Title: She's With the Band
Author: Georgia Clark
ISBN: 9781742377636
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Released: October 01, 2011
Page #: 199
Source: Copy from the publisher

Summary:
"Mia Mannix has made a deal: in return for moving from the social backwater of the Snowy Mountains to life in the fast lane in Sydney, she promised her dad she'd give up music and concentrate on 'real' art.

But that was before she discovered new friends, a cool record store and a ridiculously hot rockstar.

She's With the Band is for every girl who's ever wanted to start a band, had a crush on the wrong boy, or made a promise she couldn't keep."
___________________________________________
First Lines:

"Life never starts when you think it will. When I turned fifteen, I figured I'd be tossed the keys to the city, make out with a hottie, and have a modest parade thrown in my honour. But all that happened was that I got out of doing the washing up."
Page 1
___________________________________________
Review:

It's been a while since I've read something very lighthearted and fun... And I'm glad I picked this one up to fill the void. There's nothing better than a good book about rockstars and crazy musicians.

The story is about Mia - whose father is a famous artist. They move to Sydney and Mia has promised to give up her guitar to study the fine arts at a fancy school. She soon realizes that the music culture at this school is much more where she belongs. She starts an undercover band to compete in the local battle of the bands - and is surprised by the outcome. There are lies, loves, and some serious crushes.

I really have to start this review by saying that you will need a lesson in Aussie-isms before you ever pick up this book. While it is a fun story, there were things I'm sure I just missed out on because there were terms and phrases that made zero sense to me. Most of the time I got the gist... others were a little difficult. But that's not really something I can complain about - since the book was intended for an Aussie audience!

What girl hasn't fallen for the amazingly hot rockstar?! Of course, not all of us have contact with any... ever... but lucky Mia meets one in her first day of living in Sydney. From then on, she is smitten. She is also lucky enough to find some awesome friends to help her figure out who she wants to be... even if that isn't who her dad wants her to be. Mia has that charm and fun outlook that many girls wish they had. People want to be around her and others want to be with her. It's a win-win :).

There are about a gazillion crushes and fails in this story. She falls madly in love with one guy... then not. Then another... then not. It's a crazy cycle. But that's kinda what being a teen is all about, isn't it? Figuring out what you like and realizing you're totally wrong in the next five minutes. I think that is portrayed really well in this book. You follow her ups and downs and inside out moments - especially when she is trying to find the perfect friends in her new school.

I think there are many characters that people can relate to within the story. I think my personal favorite is Emil. I rooted for him throughout the whole story. He just seemed like the nice guy that everyone should want in their lives. There's also her crazy friend Lexie. Who hasn't had a friend that sort of flies by the seat of their pants?! I know I have. They make life interesting... and Lexie does that for Mia's story.

All in all, I really enjoyed this book. It's a fun romp into the world of music and fame - even if I didn't understand all of the music references because I'm lame. I will definitely be recommending it to older teens (due to some topics not okay for younger ones). There probably aren't enough awesome musician novels. I'd say if you enjoyed Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway, you will love this book. So, definitely give this one a shot... and learn some Aussie-isms on your way through it. :)
___________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

M/C Reviews
Are there really not any other reviews? Y'all need to get on that :). If you do review it, let me know so I can add it.

1 comment:

Georgia said...

Thanks for reviewing my book, Ms Ninja! As we say Down Under, streuth, you're a top bird!

Search This Blog