_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff

Title: The Space Between
Author: Brenna Yovanoff
ISBN: 9781595143396
Publisher: Razorbill
Released: November 15, 2011
Page #: 363
Source: From my public library

Summary:
"Everything burns in Pandemonium...
... a city in Hell made of chrome and steel, where there is no future and life in an expanse of frozen time. That's where Daphne lives.

The daughter of a demon and a fallen angel, she wonders what lies in store for her. Will she become a soulless demon like her sisters? Or follow in the footsteps of her brother Obie, whose life is devoted to saving lost souls on Earth? All she wants is to find a place where she belongs.

When Obie saves a bleeding, broken boy named Truman from the brink of death and then suddenly goes missing. Daphne runs away to Earth to find him. But on Earth, everything is colder and more terrifying, and Daphne struggles between her demon instincs and her growing - yet achingly unfamiliar - feelings for Truman. As Daphne and Truman search for Obie, they must navigate the jealousies and alliances of the violent archangels who stand in their way. But Daphne also discovers, unexpectedly, what it means to love and be human in a world where human is the hardest thing to be."
_________________________________________
First Lines:

"Once, my mother told a whole host of angels that she'd rather die than go back to a man she didn't love.
This was a long time ago, before famine or war or the combustion engine. Before my father fall down from grace and killed a thousand divine messengers on the way down."
Page 3
_________________________________________
Review:

I absolutely loved this book. How often do you get an amazing demon/angel novel like this? It contains lots of serious topics and really does a great job with it. I was impressed. I really liked her first book, but I'm so glad I picked this one up too.

The story of Daphne starts in a very hot part of Hell (though, I'm sure they all are). She has tons of sisters and a brother who she loves dearly. They are all allowed to visit Earth and conduct business when they need to there... but then Daphne's brother announces he will be living there permanently. When he goes missing, Daphne decides to go search for him... and has to start with a boy she barely knows, but now needs to save.

I don't think I can give much more information than that without giving away the ending. Though, seriously, the ending is fairly mind-blowing. I was not expecting what happened... I was good up until a certain point then things just changed more than I expected they would. But that really made the story interesting and gave it a whole new twist... which makes me want to re-read the story for clues. But it was really well done and I applaud the author for a crazy ending to an intense book.

There was one character in this story that creeped me out more than anyone else. See, there's this demon baby that Daphne becomes in charge of (info that I'm not going to elaborate on). But this baby can fully speak and form almost adult thoughts. There's something about that concept that really creeps me out. And that's saying something in a book with some insane demons and things that go creep in the night.

I will absolutely be recommending this book to anyone who loves a good paranormal story. But don't worry... there's plenty of romance thrown in as well. And that romance is almost on a deeper level than just "Oh, he's cute." and such. Much more internal. And much more intense. I really thought that was interesting and made the whole relationship very interesting. I loved seeing it develop.

There were some unexpected issues addressed throughout this story as well. Suicide being one of them. The character of Truman is seriously broken through the whole thing. His life is in shambles and is more destructive than anyone I can imagine. Of course, that's what makes the demons/angels take notice. They know he is bound to do something to kill himself at some point. But having those issues in the book make it have even more of a real life application. And it was really thought provoking - something many paranormal romances seem to lack. :)

If you haven't read Yovanoff's other novel, I seriously suggest you do so - and same with this one. I know you won't regret it. And not to mention, the cover is spooky and gorgeous. She's definitely someone to watch. I know I will be.
_________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Candace's Book Blog
Paranormal Wastelands
A Cupcake and a Latte
Scattered Pages
Bookalicious
My Cute Bookshelf
The Spotted Mushroom
Fictional Distraction

1 comment:

Mel@Thedailyprophecy said...

Great review! You're right about the cover. It's beautiful. I'm gonig to check out this book, because it sounds like a nice read!

Search This Blog