_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Monday, April 26, 2010

Musing Mondays (5)


Musing Mondays is a meme hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page...! Just go to her blog to find her topic of the week.

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about the war books.
With yesterday being Anzac Day, I thought I’d ask a theme question this week. Are you a reader of war books? And if so, do you have any favourites?

Well, my answer for this one is probably going to be unsatisfactory for a Librarian. The truth is... I really don't like war books. I think I've figured out the reason why:

We were required to read them in school.

Stay with me here... I was one of those kids who really didn't do well with being forced to read. And I remember having an absolutely awful time with a little book called Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt. I'm not quite sure what my issues with it were - it was years and years ago (well, more like 15 or so, ahem). But I honestly walked away from that book - probably after weeks of being torn apart in the classroom - thinking I would never read anything like that again.

Hence my dislike for war books. I do realize how close-minded that is - but I was defintely a bit younger then. Perhaps I should try again. Not that book, of course. That might just be a recipe for disaster. So, maybe I should pose this question:

If I were to read one YA war-themed book, what should it be? I'm open to suggestions.

1 comment:

caite said...

I don't like them either, but not for the same reason you think you don't.
I am not sure why, but I know that is not the reason. ;-)

Search This Blog