_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Title: Under the Never Sky
Author: Veronica Rossi
ISBN: 9780062072030
Publisher: HarperCollins
Released: January 03, 2012
Series: Under the Never Sky
Page #: 374
Source: My local public library

Summary:
"Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.

In her enthralling debut, Veronica Rossi sends readers on an unforgettable adventure set in a world that's harsh but often beautiful."
______________________________________________
First Lines:

"They called the world beyond the walls of the Pod 'the Death Shop.' A million ways to die out there. Aria never thought she'd get so close."
Page 1
______________________________________________
Review:

I have read many great reviews of this book - it's one that I went into knowing I would love it. Right in my wheelhouse. And let me tell you, it didn't disappoint!

Aria is from a very sterile, very strict society within the Pod. They are protected from the Aether storms, protected from the savages, protected from all illness and disease. But Aria pisses off the wrong person and finds herself tossed from this life. She has to fend for herself in the wide world - with no idea about anything... until she meets Perry. He's a savage. She finds nothing about him to trust, but he is the only one with a plan on how to get her home. But as she learns more about him, the more intrigued she is.

Sometimes I think books suffer from changing point of views very often. But this book does it seamlessly. You go back and forth between Aria and Perry - both with very different perspectives on the world they live in. It really helps you get a full view of what the world is like and the way they react to it. And both characters start out distrusting - almost hating - each other. Being given both of their backgrounds allows you to feel sympathy and kindness toward both of them.

After finishing the book, I realized that we didn't get much about Aria's life while she was living in the Pod at the beginning. You do get little tidbits here and there to piece the story together. But I could have used a little more of the "daily life" stuff to get a full picture of it. Of course, this may be where I have to use my imagination. You do have quite a bit more about Perry's life and how things have been. I would like to know more about life in the Pods. Maybe that's in a future book... :)

Speaking of future books, I very much appreciated the end of this book. No, no... I'm not going to spoil it for you. There was lots of opportunity to leave the reader hanging off the edge and cursing the author, but it didn't happen! Things ended perfectly. You could be totally satisfied with this book as a whole and not worry about what's coming next. But on that note, I cannot wait to see what happens next!! I just know there will be epic craziness.

Oh yes, as a note: I probably wouldn't give this book to middle grade readers. There are some sexual situations that might not go over so well. But the flipside? So steamy. Whew!

I really had trouble putting this book down. It was one that I stayed up way too late to finish and spent every possible second reading. It totally sucked me in. I know I'm not the only one - see the many awesome reviews out there. So, I highly recommend this one. You won't be disappointed. Now to wait for the next book...
______________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Electrifying Reviews
Sarah's Reviews
Novel Thoughts
The Hollow Cupboards
The Page Turner
Reading Lark
Book Chick City
Ramblings of a Book Junkie
At Home Between the Pages

No comments:

Search This Blog