_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Otherworldlies by Jennifer Anne Kogler

Title: The Otherworldlies
Author: Jennifer Anne Kogler
ISBN: 9780060739614
Publisher: HarperTeen

Summary:
"Fern has always been a little different...

She blisters after just moments in the sun, communicates with her dog, and has correctly predicted the weather every day for more than two years. But that's not so weird, right?

Then one day, Fern closes her eyes and opens them seconds later to find herself on a sandy beach, miles away from school. And when she disappears again - this time to someplace far more dangerous - Fern begins to realize just how different she is.

With the help of her twin brother, Sam, Fern struggles to gain control over what's happening to her. Yet the arrival of a sinister stranger - a vampire - soon leads her to question her very identity. Before she knows it, Fern finds herself in the middle of a centuries-old battle - one that puts more than just her own life in danger."
_____________________________________________
First Lines:

"The bird swung lifelessly by a silken string from the corner of the wooden eave of the house. The McAllister twins craned their necks upward to get a closer look. 'I think it hung itself,' Sam said..."
Page 1
_____________________________________________
Review:

I am going to be honest and say that I picked up this book because of it's cover. I just think it's so ... riveting. Someone commented on my "Tuesday Teaser" that they were thankful to see a full face on the cover - I agree! We really do have a lot of half-faces and parts of a face or no face at all on YA Covers. It's nice to get a full on face. :). Enough about the cover. Just know I picked the book up because of it.

If someone had told me it would be a vampire story, I would have been really surprised. I mean, it felt like it would be simply a paranormal story (which is kinda what it feels like instead of vampire). It was so different from any other vampy story out there - it almost gives the entire history of "otherworldlies" and how exactly they've survived so long. I thought it was a great backstory that has been recreated so many times.

There was one thing that I had a hard time wrapping my head around. The author wrote this book in 3rd person - which is no big thing. The thing that got to me was the switching in perspective... or maybe it's the switching in whose story they were telling. For instance, one bit of the story had Fern get scared and close her eyes and the story automatically switched over to what Sam was seeing. It was just something that threw me off a few times.

I did really enjoy this book. It was a fun story, an interesting take on the vamp stuff, the characters are very original... and more. So I'll definitely be recommending this to plenty of people. The main characters are in 7th grade, so perhaps the middle grade kids are the ones who will get the most milage out of this one.

Here's the author's website. I had wondered if this was the start of a series (because there is plenty of story there to have more), but I don't see anything about it on her website. We'll see, I guess!
_____________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

No comments:

Search This Blog