_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Reflecting on 2010

Well, let's start with a few of the basics:

In 2010, I read 115 books.
Because of this, I completed the 100+ book challenge hosted by J. Kaye.
To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in this number... it's only one more than last year. But, to be fair, I didn't count many graphic novels that I inhaled in 30 minutes. Anywho...

This was my first year participating in The Story Siren's Debut Author Challenge.
The requirement was to read 12. I read 16. So check mark on that one.
I will definitely be signing up again for 2011.

I also participated in a Chick Lit Reading Challenge hosted by Chick Lit Teens.
This was probably to promote reading chick lit books, but I don't need much help with that. It looks like I ended up reading 23. But I never picked something up because I needed more chick lit. Go figure.

And last, but not least, I entered all my books into an A-Z Challenge.
I did pretty well - except for four letters.... U, X, Y, Z. Shocking, really. No, I'm sure I could have found things starting with these letters, I just didn't go searching them out.
___________________________________________
I love lists and memes, so of course I'm filling one out for the end of the year. This one was created by Jamie at The Perpetual Page-Turner. The questions are all about the books of 2010, but I'm gonna have to just do the ones I read in 2010 - regardless of when they were published. Fill it out for yourself!:

1. Best book of 2010?
As I'm sure you all do, I have trouble narrowing this down. I'm gonna choose a couple:
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan
Halo by Alexandra Adornetto
The Agency: A Spy in the House by Y.S. Lee

2. Worst book of 2010?
"Worst" is a harsh word. I'd like to rename this "Books I enjoyed the least." And I feel the need to explain each one...
Things I Know About Love by Kate Le Vann (All good until the ending.)
iDrakula by Bekka Black (Very interesting format, not enough story.)

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010?
The Tear Collector by Patrick Jones - it was just so different from what I was expecting.
Girl Parts by John M. Cusick - had odd overtones that I could have done without.

4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010?
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George
The Grimm Legacy by Polly Shulman

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010?
This is a bit of an unfair question. I recommend books for a living. But here are a few I constantly put in people's hands:
Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves
The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan

6. Best series you discovered in 2010?
The Iron Fey (Iron King, Iron Daughter) by Julie Kagawa
The Agency books by Y.S. Lee (only read the first one - mentioned above)

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010?
She's been around awhile, but Adele Griffin. Loved her stuff!
Can I mention Carrie Ryan again? I should stop, really.
I'm excited to see what comes from Brenna Yovanoff next (The Replacement)

8. Most hilarious read of 2010?
Monster High by Lisi Harrison
A Match Made in High School by Kristin Walker
The Secret Society of the Pink Crystal Ball by Risa Green

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?
Picture the Dead by Adele Griffin and Lisa Brown
Dirty Little Secrets by C.J. Omololu

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010?
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (obvs.)
The Julian Game by Adele Griffin (cover!)
Zombies vs. Unicorns by Holly Black and Justine Larbalestier

11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010?













12. Most memorable character in 2010?
Abbey in The Hollow by Jessica Verday
Frankie Stein in Monster High by Lisi Harrison

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010?
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George
Wildthorn by Jane Eagland

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010?
Dirty Little Secrets by C.J. Omololu
IraqiGirl: Diary of a teenage girl in Iraq (blog/biography)
Blindsided by Priscilla Cummings

15. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read?
Graceling by Kristin Cashore
The Hollow by Jessica Verday
Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl

2 comments:

danya said...

I know what you mean about Things I Know About Love - I really enjoyed most of it, and then all of a sudden there was that ending and I was kind of like, "Um, what? *What* just happened?" I guess I should have seen it coming but the rest of the book had a really different tone, so it somehow still managed to surprise me.

I have been enjoying the Agency series as well - in fact, I think I prefer the second (Body at the Tower) to the first. Can't wait for the next one!

Unknown said...

I just finished reading your list for this year's Debut Author challenge. There are SO MANY to choose from. How did you narrow it down?

I'm also a huge Carrie Ryan fan. Not too much longer until The Dark and Hollow Places comes out!

I haven't read The Replacement, but I feel like I could get kids to pick up based on the cover alone. Deliciously creepy!

Happy reading in 2011 :)

Search This Blog