_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Title: Mockingjay (The Hunger Games #3)
Author: Suzanne Collins
ISBN: 9780439023511
Publisher: Scholastic
Page #: 390
Source: My own copy

This review contains only minor spoilers! I really tried...

Summary:
"Katniss Everdeen, girl on fire, has survived, even though her home has been destroyed. Gale has escaped. Katniss's family is safe. Peeta has been captured by the Capitol. District 13 really does exist. There are rebels. There are new leaders. A revolution is unfolding.

It is by design that Katniss was rescued from the arena in the cruel and haunting Quarter Quell, and it is by design that she has long been part of the revolution without knowing it. District 13 has come out of the shadows and is plotting to overthrow the Capitol. Everyone, it seems, has had a hand in the carefully laid plans - except Katniss.

The success of the rebellion hinges on Katniss's willingness to be a pawn, to accept responsibility for countless lives, and to change the course of the future of Panem. To do this, she must put aside her feelings of anger and distrust. She must become the rebels' Mockingjay - no matter what the personal cost."
____________________________________________
First Lines:

"I stare down at my shoes, watching as a fine layer of ash settles on the worn leather. This is where the bed I shared with my sister, Prim, stood. Over there was the kitchen table."
Page 3
____________________________________________
Review:

I am going to attempt to review this book without giving away any major spoilers. If you haven't read the first two books, though, I'd stop now. You can't read a review about this book without there being some info about the previous books.

I was lucky enough to be in NYC on the night of the release of this book. The store Books of Wonder had the official release party and Suzanne Collins was there to read from the first chapter. She also read a bit from Catching Fire to give a little background. There's something so amazing about hearing an author read from their creation. I don't know how many other things can compare.

Now, when I first started this book, I realized that there were things I didn't remember from the last book. Of course, I remembered the whole of what happened and what it was about, but there were hints in the beginning of things that were important from Catching Fire that I hadn't paid enough attention to. This could be because I was reading it so fast - which is what I tend to do with all of Collin's books. But if you're picking up Mockingjay, you may want to review a little bit of Catching Fire before you get started.

The writing in this entire series has been amazing. That continues in this story and I completely devoured this story with no problem at all. I am a bit sad to realize that this story is over. I'm sure there's enough story to have some sort of continuation, but something tells me this is going to be like HP - where there could be more, but the author is bowing out.

(Possibility of minor spoilers...)
I want to talk about the ending, but I'm going to try and do it without spoiling anything. Through the whole book, you have Katniss on a mission. She has things to get done and it's all about her journey to get there. Now, the ending was shocking. As in, I had a few, "oh no. oh NO! OH NO!" moments. And a couple of, "no way." moments as well. I honestly never saw it coming. I know some people are not quite happy with how it ended, but it definitely got me thinking. Honestly, I shed a few tears as well - it's super emotional.
(end minor spoilers)

If you haven't read any of the Hunger Games books, you need to do so immediately. I've only met a few people who weren't really fans. And I know a LOT of people who have read it. Please give it a shot - I don't think you'll be sorry. I wish I could put Mockingjay in the hands of every teen who asks me for it at work, but we never have enough copies. Maybe we'll get more soon. :)
____________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Paperback Dolls
Book Buzz (*SPOILERS*)
The Compulsive Reader
Reviewer X
Please watch your comments on this one - I don't want any spoilers for those who haven't read it yet! Thanks, all!

No comments:

Search This Blog