_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Friday, May 13, 2011

The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan

Title: The Dark and Hollow Places
Author: Carrie Ryan
ISBN: 9780385738590
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Page #: 374
Source: My public library

Summary:
"There are many things that Annah would like to forget: the look on her sister's face before Annah left her behind in the Forest of Hands and Teeth, her first glimpse of the Horde as they swarmed the Dark City, the sear of the barbed wire that would scar her for life. But most of all, Annah would like to forget the morning Elias left her for the Recruiters.

Annah's world stopped that day, and she's been waiting for Elias to come home ever since. Somehow, without him, her life doesn't feel much different from that of the dead that roam the wasted city around her. Until she meets Catcher, and everything feels alive again.

But Catcher has his own secrets. Dark, terrifying truths that link him to a past Annah has longed to forget, and to a future too deadly to consider. And how it's up to Annah - can she continue to live in a world drenched in the blood of the living? Or is death the only escape from the Return's destruction?"
_______________________________________
First Lines:

"The city used to be something once. I've seen pictures of the way it gleamed - sun so bright off windows it could burn your eyes. At night, lights shouted from steel like catcalls, loud and lewd, while all day long white-gloved men rushed to open doors for women who tottered about on sky-scraper heels."
Page 1
_______________________________________
Review:

I could not possibly be more in love with the Forest of Hands and Teeth books than I am. But this latest book has pushed that even a little more. *sigh* love. See my other reviews:
The Forest of Hands and Teeth
The Dead Tossed Waves

Okay, so these books are about zombies... but not in the typical zombie terms. The Unconsecrated, the Mudo, the Plague Rats. Can you imagine a world where they have taken over and it was only a matter of time until you became one of them!? Yikes. But the three books are about people who are surviving and trying to figure out how to stay alive and rebuild.

This third book in the series was absolutely my favorite. Perhaps it's because I already loved the first two and knew I'd love this one. But this third one pulled me in and I couldn't shake loose even if I'd wanted to (which I didn't). And there was nonstop action that creeped me out most of the time - enough that I had to put the book down, stand up, have an all-over heebie-jeebie dance, and sit down to read again.

Unlike the first book, the third one pulls in characters from the second one. The first one almost seems stand-alone-ish in that respect. But it's interesting to see the characters from a different perspective. You hear about our main girl Annah in the second book, but you don't get as much of a feel for her. But I found myself really loving her throughout this book. All of the girls in Ryan's stories are pretty darn kick-ass and I love that. Annah is no different.

While the whole mudo thing gives me the heebie jeebies, I really love the concept. I've often thought that here in NYC, something could spread like wildfire in a matter of hours. It would take nothing around here. Mostly because people don't even notice what's going on around them. I found it interesting that this third book is set in a city (ahem) just like this one. I can only imagine what it would be like.

Honestly, if you haven't read any of the Forest of Hands and Teeth books, you need to do it right now. Each one just gets better and better. They are super creepy (to me, at least), so I'm gonna recommend them for older teens. But really, it's great for everyone. Just violent. Well written violence :). These are some of my favorite books of... ever.

I really hope we get more about these characters - there's so much more to know! It's not so much a cliffhanger as a non-ending. I do hope there's more, but I haven't heard about any more in this series. If you have, please let me know! :) Happy reading (and don't get too freaked out).
_______________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Mundie Moms
Novel Novice
A Blog About Nothing
Bewitched Bookworms
Hooked to Books
Edifying and Edgy
Electrifying Reviews
Reading Teen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I liked this one too, but my husband was super disappointed. So much so in fact, that he wrote his first ever comment on my blog just so that he could express his displeasure. I loved it :) I really think one of the signs of a great book is if it creates controversy and discussion.

Search This Blog