_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Clique: the Manga by Lisi Harrison and Yishan Li

Title: The Clique: the Manga
Author(s): Lisi Harrison and Yishan Li

ISBN: 9780759530294

Publisher: Yen Press

Page #: 197
Source: From My Library


Summary:

"Claire Lyons is the new girl at Octavian Country Day School, an exclusive private school in Westchester County, New York. But Claire is totally unprepared for the social (and fashion) demands of her new classmates. To make matters worse, Claire's family is living in the guesthouse of one Massie Block, the queen supreme of her new school! And Massie couldn't be less thrilled with the new squatter on her family's estate. Does Claire have what it takes to go toe-to-toe with the 'it' girl in her school?"
____________________________________________
First Lines:

"'Massie, it's really simple - you're not going.'
'But I have plans and i would be rude if I broke them. Right? I mean, haven't you always told me to "honor my engagements"?'"
Pages 3 & 4
____________________________________________
Review:

As a bit of a disclaimer: I haven't read the Clique novels. Not a one. I've read plenty (all, I think) of Harrison's other books, but there were way too many of this series for me to decide to pick it up now. So this made me really excited to see there was a graphic version of the books coming out. But I don't know how close the story line sticks with the original novels.

That being said, I really liked this book. Sometimes the catty girl-fights or behind-the-back secrets thing can get very disheartening and a little uncomfortable when it's a full novel of it. Having just the graphic where you can see it coming and be through the drama quickly is very refreshing.

I'm a big fan of the art in this book. I know that many of my graphics readers are completely into manga. But it was nice to have some art that was a little more... defined. I don't know if that's insulting to other drawing styles, but this one was just more my style. There was a little manga-ish drawing every once in a while, but that just helped the story along.

I know that for a graphic, this book is fairly long. I would have loved for it to be longer - I think there were a few more story elements that could have been fleshed out a little bit. But I do understand when you have to chop things down to make them fit better. I really do hope they continue and make more of these. Wouldn't it be great if they did the whole series?! I'd be all over that.

As always, here is the author's website. She always seems to have lots of new stuff going on, so keep your eyes peeled. :) Uhm, and maybe I'm just missing it, but I can't find the manga listed on her website! Weird. Of course, neither is the second book in the Alpha's series. Perhaps she's been busy... writing all of these great books. Aha! But I did find the website of the illustrator!
____________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Manga Maniac Cafe
The Manga Critic
Comics Village
These were the only actual reviews I could find. Have you read this one and I totally skipped you? Let me know so I can add ya :).

No comments:

Search This Blog