_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May & June by Robin Benway

Title: The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May & June
Author: Robin Benway
ISBN: 9781595142863
Publisher: Razorbill
Page #: 281
Source: From My Library

Summary:
"When they move to a new town after their parents' separation, sisters April, May and June recover special powers from childhood - powers that come in handy when dealing with the living nightmare that is high school. The powers also help them cope with the hardest year of their lives. But could the magic have a greater purpose?

April, the oldest, can see the future. Middle-child May can literally disappear. And the youngest, June, reads minds. But when April gets a vision of disaster, the girls must come together to save the day or risk falling apart forever."
____________________________________________
First Lines:

"I hate being the oldest. I hate it because I'm the one who has to experience everything first. And even if I haven't, my sisters still think I know everything. Which I sort of do, but that's not the point. At least, not right now."
Page 1
____________________________________________
Review:

This is another book that made me really wish for sisters. It doesn't get cuter than three sisters who all have a special power and are learning to deal with them together. I can't even imagine what it would be like to have three years in a row - My brother is one year younger than me and that always caused issues. But all three of you in high school at the same time? I think it was well played out in this book.

It's a story about the girls and their powers, for sure. But it's really a lot of personal growth and examining their sisterly relationship. I just realized that this sounds a whole lot like that tv show Charmed. It really isn't at all like that show - there's no magic spells or anything like that. It's more involuntarily going invisible... or accidentally reading someone's mind... or seeing someone's future by looking at them. That sorta stuff.

I thought this story was really very fun - lots of sarcastic characters to get into. I had a few "aww" moments with the girls looking out for each other. I kinda liked how their powers had faults. Things like, April's ability to see the future wasn't fail-proof. Sometimes she didn't see everything, just bits. And how June's ability to read minds went awry every once in a while. And that May started disappearing at random moments. It gave having powers a bit of a reality check :). Like, "haha! Invisibility isn't always that great!!"

One thing that did bother me (and this is my geek coming out) was that the invisibility thing wasn't explained all that well. I mean, she can move through a party without bumping into anyone... so, that means she's not solid? Or does that mean she was just really cautious? And the fact that her clothes disappeared with her... it just never solidified in my mind. hah. get it? solidified. my bad, moving on.

This story ties up neatly, but I'm hoping for more books about these sisters. There are lots of story lines that could be picked up and I would look forward to seeing what happens with the girls. I don't know that anything is in the works, but I'm sure hoping there will be!

I really did love this story and I'll be recommending it to all my readers who like a little fantasy mixed in with their realistic fiction. Spice it up a little bit. Girls mostly, because the guy characters are completely secondary. Of course, maybe guys with sisters could get into this one so they can have an insight to their siblings :). Maybe.

Anyway, I recommend this one, for sure. I also recommend Robin Benway's other book Audrey, Wait! I recall that one made me laugh the entire time. She's a very good author to watch. Here's her website/blog. Oh, and here's the website for the book - you can follow the characters on twitter!
____________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Bookalicious Ramblings
Just Your Typical Book Blog
The Bookologist
The Hiding Spot
Not Enough Bookshelves
First Novels Club
Debbie's World of Books
There are tons of other reviews out there - mostly seemed to love the book like I did! So, see? This one is totally worth checking out.

2 comments:

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Excellent review! I don't think there's been a negative opinion of this book yet. I should take the hint and read it!

Anonymous said...

Great review! each review I read makes me want to read this book even more!

:D

Search This Blog