_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Friday, June 24, 2011

Forever by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater

ISBN: 9780545259088
Publisher: Scholastic Press

Page #: 388

Source: ARC from the publisher @ BEA


Summary:

"then.
When Sam met Grace, he was a wolf and she was a girl. Eventually he found a way to become a boy, and their love moved from a curious distance to the intense closeness of shared lives.

now.
That should have been the end of their story. But Grace was not meant to stay human. Now she is the wolf. And the wolves of Mercy Falls are about to be killed in one final, spectacular hunt.

forever.
Sam would do anything for Grace. But can one boy and one love really change a hostile, predatory world? The past, the present, and the future are about to collide in one pure moment - a moment of death or life, farewell or forever.
___________________________________________
First Lines:

"I can be so quiet. Haste ruins the silence. Impatience squanders the hunt. I take my time."
Page 1
___________________________________________
Review:

This is the third book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series. Here are my reviews of the first two:
Shiver
Linger

I was so excited that one of my coworkers brought this book home from BEA. It was one that I had been hoping to get my hands on as soon as it came out. It's the third story of Sam and Grace and the wolf pack - and all of the resistance they encounter. The town has grown very anxious with the pack and want them eliminated as soon as possible.

I've described the start of this book to a few people as "super emo." If you've read the first two books, you know that each one starts with one of the main characters alone and pining for the other. It's a love story like that, but they always start out lonely. This time it felt like too much - too much "it's all my fault"; too much "I miss her so much"; and too much "woe is me." At least it was all too much for my taste.

This doesn't mean it was a bad book. It just means that I had a harder time getting into it and loving the story in the end. I did love that like the second book, you had more characters to focus on and learn about. There are also a few more people pulled into the secret of the wolves - which gives the story a more depth.

The big story in this book is that the wolves are under attack from the city. Of course the people want to get rid of them after they've killed a few people. The solution and the way they come to it is wonderful. It gives the book a much more action packed feel than if it was all about the lovey-dovey :). It also separates out the good guys from the "bad." I was impressed at how the author pulled it all together.

I was hoping for more of a conclusion in this last book of the trilogy. There are lots of things that do get wrapped up in the end and I was thankful for that. But really there's not a full ending. You are left wondering how things are going to be from now on for our characters. I guess that's not a bad ending... I just was hoping for more.

All in all, this was a good ending to a fun series. I really think that those into paranormal romance will love these books. I've had to convince lots of readers that these aren't your typical werewolves - they have a lot more to offer. And it seems less weird :). But I do know that these books are loved by lots of readers and will continue to be loved for a long time. I look forward to the next books by Maggie Stiefvater.
___________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Eve's Fan Garden
Presenting Lenore
Annette's Book Spot
Logan E. Turner
Book Journey
Parajunkee's View
Chick Loves Lit
Bookyurt

No comments:

Search This Blog