_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Monday, March 1, 2010

Musing Mondays (1)

This is a meme that I found recently around the blogosphere and really liked the sound of it. I think the topics are always interesting and hopefully I will have something to say about them.


Musing Mondays is a meme hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page...! Just go to her blog to find her topic of the week. I'm pretty excited to get this one going. Here's the topic:

"Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about a story format.
How do you feel about books written in a differing format – whether this be journals or letters (epistolary), verse novels, or any other form? Is this something you enjoy? Or do you prefer straight forward chapter prose."

I'm really a fan of different formatting styles. I'm particularly a fan of the blog-entry, chatting, or texting formats. I know that some people have a hard time with these, but there's something so fun and easy about reading books like that (maybe because I'm used to communication that way). I suppose these fall under the heading of "letters"... or "journals" maybe? I've been known to pick up these books regardless of what they're about. It's a dangerous practice, but I haven't been bitten yet :).

I have a little confession to make. I've never read a novel in verse. Now, I know which ones are out there. And I know which ones to recommend. I've just never picked one up. I think this is because of my years of shying away from poetry. I have a hard time getting things out of poetry (meanings, ideas, etc), so I've always assumed I would have problems with novels in verse. Care to talk me into reading one? I'm open to suggestions on how to do that.

This all makes me sound like I'm not a fan of straightforward prose. 'Tis not true! I love me some "regular" novels. Many books wouldn't work in alternate formats anyway, so I definitely don't limit myself to one format or another. Then I would miss out on all the incredibly great stuff out there!

Thanks to Rebecca at Just One More Page... for a wonderful topic this week. I look forward to next Monday!

2 comments:

Lori said...

I myself am more of a chapter to chapter traditional reader. Here's Mine.

Windows Wide Open said...

Good post :)
I, too, enjoy the letter format in books--the chat or email format fits right into letters, I think. To me, this format makes the characters seem more real somehow.
~
www.mywindowswideopen.wordpress.com

Search This Blog