_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

From the book jacket:

"In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sisteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before - and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that weigh survival against humanity and life against love."

__________________________________________________________

I picked up this book because it had so many requests at my library. I had heard of it through my general collection development for YA Fic, but I didn't think it would be such a hit! I managed to get my hands on a copy and have been so thankful ever since!

I was absolutely blown away by this book. The cover is just so unassuming, but I got completely sucked in. It's totally cliche, but I honestly couldn't put this book down. Of course, I got kinda bummed when I realized this was only the first of a trilogy. But it kept me on the edge of my seat and biting my fingernails. It's a totally far fetched idea that almost hits close to home. I would almost say it's reality tv gone very wrong. But there's much more to it than that. This is a really well thought out and interesting concept and I'll be sure to read the next installment.

I've honestly talked up this book to everyone I've seen. I personally think that anyone could love this book (if they can get over the violence factor). So yeah, I'd read it if I were you.
Other blog reviews: Here, Here, Here, Here, and many other places! See? Everyone wants you to read it!

No comments:

Search This Blog