_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Friday, April 1, 2011

Fade by Lisa McMann

Title: Fade (Wake #2)
Author: Lisa McMann
ISBN: 9781416953586
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Page #: 248
Source: From my public library

** If you have not read Wake, this summary and review will probably contain spoilers! Proceed with caution!**

Summary: "Some nightmares never end. For Janie and Cabel, real life is getting tougher than the dreams. They're just trying to carve out a little (secret) time together, but no such luck.

Disturbing things are happening at Fieldridge High, yet nobody's talking. When Janie taps into a classmate's violent nightmares, the case finally breaks open - but nothing goes as planned. Not even close. Janie's in way over her head, and Cabe's shocking behavior has grave consequences for them both.

Worse yet, Janie learns the truth about herself and her ability - and it's bleak. Seriously, brutally bleak. Not only is her fate as a dream catcher sealed, but what's to come is way darker than she'd feared." ____________________________________________
First Lines:

"January 1, 2006, 1:31 a.m.
Janie sprints through the snowy yards from two streets away and slips quietly through the front door of her house.
And then.
Everything goes black."
Page 1
____________________________________________
Review:

There is something so wonderful about this author. I honestly don't think I can put my finger on what it is, but her books are just fantastic. Is it the writing? Probably. It is the story? Also probably. I have decided that only after reading two, I'm hooked. I flew through them both and have already put my hands on the third one. I can't wait to fly through this one as well. I know it's going to be fabulous.

The story in Fade is about Janie's second foray into the detective world. This time she's asked to do something much more intense and it puts her life in jeopardy. You see her grow into much stronger character - physically and somewhat emotionally. She is given more information about who she is and how she is supposed to handle it. Wouldn't it be nice if we had a guide for how our lives were going to turn out?

I do have to say that there seems to be an amazing amount of drama that happens at this high school. First you have cocaine... now you have wayward teachers... what's next?! But it's a really cool mixture of the mystery and the fantasy of dealing with a dream catcher. A dream catcher who is learning who she is and how to deal with her "gift."

As I mentioned in my review of Wake, I'm very intrigued by this whole dream aspect of the book (meaning, the main concept). There's something so mysterious about dreams in general - not just how Janie is using them in the books. Even if there wasn't the whole detective aspect, I would still want to see what people dream and try to analyze what they mean. But that's just me and my curiousity :). I've always wanted to see what's going on in people's heads. Don't we all? I absolutely cannot wait to see what happens.

At the end of Fade, you get a picture of what the future holds for Janie and I am excited to see how it turns out. I'm hoping for good things. Either way, I already have Gone in my possession... I just have to pick the right moment to read it. The moment that I have enough time to sit down and read the whole darn thing :).

I know that so many teens will love this book, I can't even pinpoint the genre reader that will like it most. It's got a little bit of everything and it's just written so well that you can't put it down. Definitely check out Lisa McMann's website. She's got information about her more recent book and how awesome that seems. I'll have to get that one as well.
____________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Teenage Fiction for All Ages
Karin's Book Nook
YA Reads Chick Loves Lit
That Chick That Reads
Love to Read for Fun
Teen Book Fanatics
Good Girls Read Books

2 comments:

A Beautiful Madness said...

I really enjoyed this series! hope you like Gone!

Unknown said...

Yay! I loved this whole trilogy. I honestly kind of believe that Jamie's powers are possible... I remember reading the series last summer and each night before I feel asleep I would wonder if anyone else could see my dreams. Enjoy Gone!!

Search This Blog