_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Looking Back at 2011

Well, 2011 has been insane for me - outside of book blogging and reading... Which means I've pretty much failed on the blog-side of things. My excuses are as follows: Wedding. Moving. New Job. Easy as that. I'll try not to mention those things too often in this post :).
But I figured I'd still look back at the books of this year and start with a nice, clean slate.

Okay, so I participated in the 100 Books in a Year challenge hosted by Book Chick City. And... I failed that one. I read 85 books this year. I thought about padding it with some quickie graphic novels, but I didn't. Which is why you should be proud! Ahem. I'll be giving this one another try in the next year - I was successful a year ago, so I know I can do it.

I also participated in the Historical Challenge through YA Bliss. I didn't finish this one either. I'm not sure I'll do this one again. It was fine and all, but I'm not going to force myself when there are less historical books that come out in a year.

And lastly, I participated in the Debut Author Challenge hosted by The Story Siren. You'll be proud to know that I actually finished this one! YAY! Well, it's not that difficult because I love reading things by new authors. But, that was one that I did finish and I'm excited to get started on it again for 2012!
_______________________________________
Last year, I filled out the End of Year survey and I was excited to see it around again! This is hosted by The Perpetual Page-Turner - check that out. And here's the survey:
1. Best Book You Read In 2011?

I really have a hard time narrowing this down. So I'm going to give you a few options:
Dystopian: Divergent by Veronica Roth
Realistic: Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Sci-Fi: Glow by Amy Kathleen Ryan
Re-told Fairy Tale: A Long, Long Sleep by Anna Sheehan
Fantasy: The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson
Urban Fantasy: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

2. Most Disappointing Book/Book You Wish You Loved More Than You Did?

I have two:
Awakened by PC and Kristen Cast - it's #8 in the series and I really should have stopped a few books ago. I'm done now though.
Hades by Alexandra Adornetto - I loved the first book, Halo... but there was something lacking in this second book.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
I was expecting a fluffy chick-lit book... and it was so much more. Loved it!

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2011?

Hands down:
Divergent by Veronica Roth
If you haven't read it yet, you're missing out.

5. Best series you discovered in 2011?

I knew of it before 2011, but I finally read them:
The Wake series by Lisa McMann

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2011?

Stephanie Perkins
Veronica Roth
Anna Sheehan
Lisa McMann

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

My only comfort zone is really fiction... and YA. And I didn't read any nonfiction (except graphics), so I'm not sure that I have an answer for this one.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?

Divergent by Veronica Roth
The Iron Knight by Julie Kagawa

9. Book you most anticipated in 2011?

For me it was Last Sacrifice and then Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2011?


I specifically read this book for the cover.
The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross








11. Most memorable character in 2011?

Sydney from Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2011?

The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011?

Absolutely, 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I know everyone read this a year ago or more... but I was very impacted by this story. And I've recommended it up and down to anyone who hasn't gotten to it yet.
And I would also include XVI by Julia Karr. There were some intense topics covered in this one and what things would be like if. I really enjoyed it.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read?

The Wake series by Lisa McMann
People had talked about it for years and said how wonderful it was. I shouldn't have waited - they took no time at all to read!
Same for 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2011?

I'm really bad about writing down quotes and things that I read. Perhaps I'm just reading too fast. I'm not sure. But I'll have to pass on this question.

16. Book That You Read In 2011 That Would Be Most Likely To Reread In 2012?

To be honest, I don't re-read much. And especially when I'm counting the things I'm reading toward a challenge. That being said, I probably will want to reread Divergent by Veronica Roth before the next book comes out!

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

Geez. Every fantastic book that ended on a cliffhanger?! No, I think one that I really talked about with people was pretty much all of 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I could not believe the story and how things turned out. It just blew me away and I had to share it.

Now... on to a bigger and better 2012!!

1 comment:

Loni said...

Am I the only one who hasn't read Divergent?

I thought of starting the series by PC and Kristen Cast. I heard on a lot of blogs that the first few books are good, then they just get worse and worse.

Search This Blog