_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Burn for Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian

Title: Burn for Burn 
Author: Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian
ISBN: 9781442440753
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Released: September 18, 2012
Series: Burn for Burn trilogy
Page #: 356
Source: eARC from NetGalley

Summary:
"Postcard-perfect Jar Island is home to charming tourist shops, pristine beaches, amazing oceanfront homes—and three girls secretly plotting revenge.

KAT is sick and tired of being bullied by her former best friend.
LILLIA has always looked out for her little sister, so when she discovers that one of her guy friends has been secretly hooking up with her, she’s going to put a stop to it.
MARY is perpetually haunted by a traumatic event from years past, and the boy who’s responsible has yet to get what’s coming to him.

None of the girls can act on their revenge fantasies alone without being suspected. But together…anything is possible.
With an unlikely alliance in place, there will be no more “I wish I’d said…” or “If I could go back and do things differently...” These girls will show Jar Island that revenge is a dish best enjoyed together."
_______________________________________________
First Lines: (from the ARC, subject to change)

"The morning has painted everything white. It's exactly like one of my rabbit-hole dreams, where I get trapped, suspended in a cloud, and I can't seem to wake myself up. 
Then the foghorn blares, the mist breaks into lace, and I see Jar Island, spread out along the horizon just like in one of Aunt Bette's paintings."
Page 1
_______________________________________________
Review:

If you are in need of a high-drama teen girl story, this book is definitely for you. Revenge, boys, friendship, and much more. 

Three girls are looking to take revenge on the people who have done them wrong. Unfortunately, the ones who have done them wrong are in power at their school. But once they secretly team up, nothing can stop them. Except when they see all the havoc they are causing. 

I'm just going to say that I wasn't expecting this book to leave me on a cliffhanger. I mean, you don't even get the conclusion to the second and third acts of revenge! Alas, the first one was almost good enough to keep me happy. I just was hoping for more... I'll definitely pick up the next book when it comes out.

So, the setting for this book is kind of unique - Jar Island. It's a place you can only reach by boat. There's one high school and plenty of drama. But it seems like an interesting place because it is totally a tourist town, Everyone knows everyone else... they all grew up together. Which isn't always a good thing. 

The three girls in this story - Kat, Lillia and Mary come from vastly different worlds. Their lives barely overlap. But when they each find themselves at the end of their ropes, they turn to each other. More because of convenience. Soon they learn they can trust each other and help one another. Even if there might be critical consequences. 

High drama, for sure. They're all going after a popular person. Two football players and the head cheerleader. Friends. Enemies. Frenemies. Family. Relationships. This book has it all. High school drama at its best. You learn to love each of these girls in their own right. And I think that many teen readers will see themselves in the characters of this book. 


I've loved Siobhan Vivan's books in the past, and this one is no exception. But I haven't picked up any of Jenny Han's. I'm pretty sure I have to now. They came up with a great book and I think many will enjoy it. I am waiting on pins and needles for the next one! Hopefully sooner rather than later. If you're a drama lover, this book is perfect for you.
_______________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

No comments:

Search This Blog