_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wake by Lisa McMann

Title: Wake (Wake #1)
Author: Lisa McMann

ISBN: 9781416953579

Publisher: Simon Pulse
Page #: 210

Source: From my public library


Summary:

"Not all dreams are sweet.
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does - they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant..."
_________________________________________
First Lines:

"Janie Hannagan's math book slips from her fingers. She grips the edge of the table in the school library. Everything goes black and silent. She sighs and rests her head on the table. Tries to pull herself out of it, but fails miserably."
Page 1
_________________________________________
Review:

This book has been recommended to me many times. I honestly didn't think much about it until one of my coworkers put it in my hands. I got lucky that it wasn't requested - it's been going out a lot lately. And now I know why!!!

Oops. Too many exclamation points. L.O.V.E.D. this book. I'm going to try to step back and analyze this book without gushing all over it. It's the story of a girl who accidentally falls into anyone's dream who is asleep around her. This could happen at literally any time. When she's driving, when she's walking in the school hallway, any time. Very scary thought!

Because of this, she closes herself off to most people she meets. One boy gets through. This starts a whole string of drama bits. But it's the twist that really got me. No, I'm not going to tell you what it is. But there was something that I didn't see coming. And it changed the whole course of the story.

Though I loved the relationship, the whole dream thing was what got me most interested. I've always thought dreams are such a mystery. I've only had a few that I really remember - so the idea that a girl sees everyone's dreams around her... it's just an amazing idea. And her journey to figuring out how to control this ability - and even use it - is pretty cool.

Honestly, I fell into this book like Janie falls into dreams. I couldn't pull myself out of it. And it was hella fast - I started it at lunch and finished while having dinner. I'm in serious need of finding the next book in the series. Hopefully we have one at work.

I loved the format of this book - it's not quite diary entries because they aren't written for Janie herself. It's like they are snipits in time that show you what's going on. Each section is dated and time stamped - so it's almost like "so this happened. Then this. And now this." It seems like that would make the book really choppy. But instead it gives the book real flow and gives you the most important stuff. And it helps give you a timeline of how things happen without spelling it out for you.

I will seriously be recommending this book to anyone. that's right. anyone. No, I guess it's best for those who are fans of semi-thrillers... a little piece of fantasy, but mostly reality. there's definite romance for those who love it. There's a definite crime aspect to it that I don't see very often. It adds a really great level to the story. And guys would get into this one just as easily as girls - the leading lady is just that well written.

I look forward to reading the rest of this series and whatever Lisa McMann comes up with! I know Cryer's Cross recently came out, so maybe I'll finally get to that arc sitting in the pile. Seriously though, check out her website for more info and her blog.
_________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Today I Read
YA Reads
Tea Mouse
That Chick That Reads
The Weekend Review
Chick Loves Lit
Girls in the Stacks
The Book Pushers

No comments:

Search This Blog