_________________________________________________________________

Home     Review Policy      Hot New Titles      Contact Me

_________________________________________________________________

Friday, May 21, 2010

The Pack by LM Preston

Title: The Pack
Author: LM Preston
ISBN: 9780984198979
Publisher: Phenomenal One Press
Street Date: August 1, 2010 (ARC from the author)

Summary:
"Shamira is considered an outcast by most, but little does anyone know that she is on a mission. Kids on Mars are disappearing, but Shamira decides to use the criminals' most unlikely weapons against them - the very kids they have captured.

In order to succeed, she is forced to trust another person, something she is afraid to do. However, Valens, her connection to the underworld of her enemy, proves to be a useful ally. Time is slipping, and so is her control on the power that resides within her. Yet in order to save her brother's life, she is willing to risk everything."
____________________________________________
First Lines:

"She often walked this way home, listening for all the familiar sounds. Adjusting the handle of her small bag across her chest, she strolled slowly on the long suburban block that stretched quietly in front of her. It was night out, but it made no difference to Shamira, for she lived in the dark for most of her life."
Page 7
____________________________________________
Review:

I have to admit, I had reservations about reading this book at first. I had read summaries and such on it and I just wasn't completely sold on the whole concept. But after reading the story, I have to say that the ideas were really cool and the book had a story that kept me coming back.

I thought that the whole idea of the main character being a blind badass chick was really cool. I was a little disappointed when she was given her sight back within the first 75 pages. It was almost like the character got a totally new perspective and I had to change my entire perspective on her. That made the story a little rough for me - just because I was getting a handle on her character right as she changed.

This is a very action-packed story. The main character was bred to be a leader of the security force on Mars and is doing vigilante rescues because of the kidnappings. I mean, how much cooler can you get? There's tons of fighting and gadgets to keep boy readers interested. I do realize that this book is meant for teens... but I have to agree with a few other reviewers in that it's probably written for a bit younger. There are teen-ish circumstances, but the writing is really aimed at a younger reader.

I thought the ending was gripping and I had a few moments of really not wanting to put the story down. I hope others can find this bit of sunlight as well. Check out Preston's website. There's a pretty cool book trailer posted there too.
____________________________________________
Other Blog Reviews:

Chick Loves Lit
The Lost Entwife
Emma Michaels

No comments:

Search This Blog